Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Meanings of Type

The Meanings of Type shows just how much type is influenced by what is going on at the time. I think it's good to know the history of a typeface and why it was designed. Now that I know why certain typefaces were designed I can make better type choice decisions.

I thought it was very interesting to learn about the typeface chosen for Jurassic Park. I think it's unique that the Neuland typeface was revived for this movie because the dinosaurs were "revived"as well!
I had never known the typeface used in comic books was called splash panel. It is used for exaggeration, which makes sense for a comic book.
The Avant Garde magazine logo typeface looks very modern. In the article it said the typeface was abused, and I think it should have just been used for the logo.
We have come a long way since pictographs!

EV

http://www.eyemagazine.com/feature.php?id=98&fid=485

No comments:

Post a Comment