Friday, November 13, 2009

Visit to Washington University Library



The field trip to Washington University at the Olin library was extremely interesting. As we learned about most of the books and the history of them in class, and then to see them up close and personal was definitely a privilege. I felt that I was drawn to the older books in the room mostly I think because we have just learned so much about them. To have knowledge of what you are looking at gives you a greater appreciation for it. I loved looking at the Kelmscott press books that were much larger than I thought they be. The small cuneiform writing tablet that was there was also exciting to look at especially knowing how old it is. I didn’t realize how tiny it would be!! The Doves Press Bible really stood out. The bold red lettering of “In The Beginning” was very powerful. Getting to feel the actual pages and flip through all of these books that we have learned so much about makes me appreciate the work even more.


DH

No comments:

Post a Comment